Introduction to Sport Club Governance
A short course created specifically for Board / Management Committee members in Australian sport and recreation clubs.
About this course
This course is designed as an introduction to the governance of local sport and recreation clubs in Australia. The course covers information about a Management Committee and how it is slightly different to other boards, your rights and obligations as a Management Committee member, governance and legal responsibilities, risk management, and financial management. Keep scrolling to view the full curriculum.
If you are looking to join a sport or recreation Club board / Management Committee, or if you are new or have been on a Club board for some time and are looking to formalise your Club governance knowledge, this course provides you with the requisite skills that you need to execute your director / Committee member duties appropriately, minimise risk, and effectively lead the Club and its community.
No prerequisite knowledge is required to undertake this course.
The course is structured to be completed over four weeks; however, with lifetime access, flexibility is built in and allows you to complete it faster or slower.
You will receive weekly emails guiding you through the course work, and have access to a private online forum where you can ask any question you have about the course content and your personal management committee experiences.
- Key Governance Responsibilities
- The Role of the Management Committee Members
- The Role of Sub-Committees
- Rights and Legal Obligations of Management Committee Members
- Skills and Attributes of a Management Committee Member
- What Does This Commitment Involve?
- Effective Management Committees
- The Governance Principles
- What is a Constitution?
- What is an Incorporated Club?
- Operating at Best Practice
- Due Diligence Before Joining the Management Committee
- What is Risk?
- How to Manage Risk
- The Importance of Culture and Behaviour
- Conflicts of Interest
- Policies and Processes
- What is Financial Management?
- Why Budgets are Important
- How to Read the Financial Reports
- Monitoring Ongoing Performance
- Financial Controls and Auditing
What You'll Receive:
- Lifetime access to the course material.
- Access to a private Facebook group to interact with fellow course participants and ask questions to help deepen your learning and understanding of the course material.
- Weekly emails keeping you on track with your learning and course work.
- Interaction with Tim White (Introduction to Sport Governance course author) via the private Facebook group.
Please note, when signing up for this course, be sure to tick the box to subscribe to our newsletter to ensure you receive all of the course-related information emails.
Any questions? Please read our FAQs below for frequently asked questions about our courses, or send us a message using the enquiry form.
Course Fee // $327 incl. GST
2 payments of $167 incl. GST
Ask a Question
Have some questions? See below or contact us to find out more.
Who is this e-Course for?
Introduction to Sport Governance is designed for aspiring, new, and existing Sport Club committee / board members.
All of Get on Board Australia’s courses are designed for new and aspiring company directors and board members. You may be at the start of your board career (first to fifth year), looking to start your board career in the near future (e.g. in the next 12 months), or you have been sitting on a board for many years and now want to formalise your knowledge to pursue other board opportunities.
How is the e-Course delivered?
Our e-courses are delivered fully online, through this website. You must be logged in to access the course material related to the course you have enrolled in.
Some elements of our courses are done via third-party providers (for example, for our webinars and online conferencing).
How much does it cost?
Each course is priced individually. The cost is noted on each course home page.
When do registrations close?
All of our courses are open for enrolment all day, every day.
When does it start?
You can start a course as soon as you enrol.
What if I’m not satisfied?
A full refund can be requested within one (1) day of enrolling into any of our courses.
Are there any restrictions on who can enroll in an e-Course?
There are no restrictions to who can enrol in our courses. Our courses are best suited to new and aspiring company directors and board members.
Will I earn any continuing professional development points (CPD) for my professional accreditation?
Our courses will likely meet most criteria for the CPD requirements of large professional associations. It is recommended you check with your association prior to enrolment to ensure you can claim the work and hours invested for your CPD requirements.
Any further questions?
Please send us a message.