The first 100 days in any significant leadership position provides a critical point in that person’s role. How you navigate through this period can enhance or inhibit your subsequent time in that leadership role.
In this episode, I talk with Kelvin Spiller, author of One Step Ahead: what aspiring leaders and CEOs need to know before, during, and after their first 100 days, about the model that he has developed from his experience across 8 CEO roles and more than 35 board and committee roles.
Kelvin and I discuss:
• His Leadership Model, the five pillars, and what he calls ‘threshold’ and ‘distinguishing’ skills;
• How he came to develop this model;
• How a board member can approach their first 100 days on a new board;
• Some of the traps that people fall into when they move into a new leadership position;
• The advice he would give to people transitioning from ‘doer’ to a ‘leader’ or ‘overseer’;
• How a board can best support a new CEO in their first 100 days in the job;
• The number one skill or attribute that every great leader has; and
• What’s been his biggest boardroom or leadership challenge, and how he overcame it.
FIND US ON YOUR FAVOURITE PODCAST APP
Kelvin Spiller has held a range of leadership positions including 8 CEO roles in the local government, water and disability sectors. He has been a director / member of more than 35 boards and committees in government, business and communities, and has provided consulting services through his business ‘Leadership Thinking Australia‘ across Australia to CEOs and small to medium sized business in more than 25 industry sectors in Queensland and Victoria. Kelvin’s career has mostly been in larger organisations focusing on leadership, strategy and operational management. His qualifications are in management from Oxford University UK, and the RMIT University, in Victoria. He is also an accredited Administrator of the MBTI behavioral and leadership preference tool.
Connect with Kelvin on LinkedIn.
If you have a question or a topic that you’d like covered on a future episode, please drop me a note in the comments below.