How the Best Boards are Leading Through COVID-19 with Julie Garland-McLellan | Ep. 22
We are ALL in the situation where we are learning to lead through a global pandemic and deep and sudden economic crisis. There is no playbook for us as board members to follow; however, there are likely better ways for us to lead through this current situation and for us, as board members, to continue to add value to our boards. To understand what the best boards and best board members are doing now, I reached out to Julie Garland-McLellan.
Julie is a world-renowned expert on boards, governance and how directors can build better organisations. She has published dozens of articles in top‐tier academic and business journals, has written and presented the Australian Institute of Company Directors’ highest rated courses, and featured in mainstream media such as ABC News, Sky News, The Financial Review, the Financial Times and many more.
Julie is the internationally acclaimed author of multiple books including All Above Board (with the third edition underway and has been translated into Mandarin languages) and Not For Profit Board Dilemmas. She often keynotes major conferences and events as well as hosting thought-provoking director education and strategy workshops for boards.
Her most prominent role is as the CEO of The Director’s Dilemma which is the world’s most widely read Directors’ newsletter.
Importantly, Julie serves on boards and has experience as a director as well as an advisor for boards in the NFP, Government and commercial sectors including ASX 200 listed companies
Julie and I talk about:
- What the best boards are doing right now; what’s on their agenda; and how they’re spending their time.
- What boards can do to support the organisation in the short to medium term future.
- What’s on their strategy agenda, and how boards can start looking forward to recovery/what’s next and taking advantage of opportunities that are available.
- Clarifying the short-term changes to insolvent trading liabilities for directors.
- And other interesting observations that Julie has made as she supports boards through the COVID crisis.
CONNECT WITH JULIE
If you’d like to get in touch with Julie, you can find her:
Resources Julie mentions during our conversation:
FIND US ON YOUR FAVOURITE PODCAST APP
If you have a question or a topic that you’d like covered on a future episode, please fill out our simple online survey.