Boardroom Insider of the Month with Rod Buchecker | Ep. 38
Take a peek into a successful board member’s board journey and reflections from over 25 years in the boardroom.
In this installment of Boardroom Insider of the Month, I have an engaging conversation with Rod Buchecker. Rod is a marketing & brand strategist, CEO coach and board member.
Amongst many other roles he holds, Rod currently serves on:
- The Advisory Board of Think 180 Pty Ltd,
- The Board of Burnside War Memorial Hospital and is Chair of the Burnside Hospital Foundation, and
- The Board of Adelaide Zoo and Monarto Safari Park, where he is also Chair of Risk and Governance.
Rod’s board career extends back to 1994; so he has a lot of wisdom to share and he does so in this episode.
In this conversation, Rod shares:
- His pathway to the boardroom
- What he thinks are the essential skill(s) of great board members
- How he sees his professional expertise benefitting organisations via board service.
- The value he gets personally from serving on boards; and
- How he overcame his biggest board career challenge.
Connect with Rod:
Find the Board Shorts Podcast on your Favourite Podcast App
About Rod Buchecker
Rod is Chair of TEC 30 for The Executive Connection, the world’s largest CEO network with over 26000 members. TEC 30 has a broad range of global, national and state based members with turnover totalling A$1.5 Billion and 6000+ staff, providing a fascinating snapshot of the diversity of businesses in South Australia.
With over 30 years experience delivering sustainable, strategic and creative solutions on high profile brands all over the world, Rod is a recognised executive mentor and business coach, with a key focus on brand strategy, leadership and team development and helping companies find the clarity they need to succeed.
He is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, currently serving in the following board roles:
- Member of the Board of Advice of Think 180 Pty Ltd,
- Board Director of Burnside War Memorial Hospital and Chair of the Burnside Hospital Foundation,
- Director of Zoological Society of South Australia – Adelaide Zoo and Monarto Safari Park, and Chair of the Risk and Governance committee.
Recent other roles have included Chair of Strategic Fundraising Committee for Cancer Council SA (CCSA). Director of CCSA for 10 years, Director of Clemenger BBDO Adelaide for 15 years, Advisory Board member of Torque Control Specialists Pty Ltd, and Director of Regional Development Australia – Metropolitan Adelaide for 2.5 years.
Rod is a graduate of Harvard Business School’s Strategic Marketing Management in Boston and the prestigious Y@R Ad Skills Programme in New York. He is also an Ambassador for Thought Leaders Global and a founding member of the Faculty of Thought Leaders Business School, a Sydney and Melbourne based learning institution changing the way clever people think.
If you have a question or a topic that you’d like covered on a future episode, please fill out our simple online survey.